[support] D7: how to describe a library?

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Tue Dec 31 10:29:20 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I'm using D7 to build a catalog rerefencing books available in
different libraries and in different formats (Audio, Digital text,
Braille...).

To achieve this I define a content type for bibliographic recors. It has
fields for title, author, ISBN, book description. And also I consider
using the composed_field module to define an item filed. So a
bibliographic record will have as many item fields as there are
available books in different libraries. Each item filed should include
at least the type of item, (Braille, audio, etc.), the library that owns
it and a link for getting more information.

My question is: how best describing libraries in Drupal? Ideally one
shold be able to use a library name as a taxonomy field (clicking on it
will show all the books for which the library has at least one item of
that book). But one may also want to associate othe rinformation to a
library. At the minimum a link to its website, but perhaps also
aphysical address, a phone number, perhaps even freeform text info, so
that would suggest to create a dedicated content type for libraries but
then I suspect that the benefits of taxonomy fields would be lost.

Any comment on how to best represent libraries in particular but also on
the general architecture described above would be warmly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Shérab.