[support] Best practices for stage <--> productions

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Fri Feb 22 16:35:01 UTC 2013

You should really check out

http://drupal.org/project/backup_migrate

There are lots of strategies out there, but I tend to follow the following strategy.

* Set up identical but separate staging/development environments.
* Do periodic clones from  production back to test/staging.
* use the export import features that are provided with many key project (e.g. views, cck, panels) to move larger config changes to prod, and do the rest (tweaks) manually, first in test, then in prod.

Many people would talk about using modules like features, etc to facilitate deployment, but I've found that most push config synchronization strategies create more work than they save.

My 2 cents anyway.

Also if you're a UNIX admin and new to the community.... you really need to get and install drush.  http://drupal.org/project/drush

Dave