[support] So fed up with Drupal 7

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Mon Feb 25 00:17:56 UTC 2013

* Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> [130224 14:56]:
> As the subject line says, I am getting rapidly disenchanted with Drupal
> 7 but there are no valid alternatives.
>
> The problem: <Administration><Structure><Content Types><Select any
> content type> <Edit> WSOD. No error messages, no log messages, no way to
> isolate what may be the problem.
> There is no way to enter the edit mode of any content type in my system.
> This started with 2 content types and now since I switched on Book
> module, is all of them. Switching off Book module has no effect.
>
> Problem exists with the site copy on 2 different operating systems.
> What puzzles me is that WSOD is only for edit selected content type,
> everything else seems ok.
> I have a basic mysql database, mayo theme fully updated drupal 7 core
> and 43 additional modules.
> Been having this problem to various extent for over a month.
>
> I suspect it may again be a php memory error but  have no way of knowing.
> Have ini_set() to 128M in /settings.php, have memory_limit in php.ini
> set to 128M and in this Fedora 16, at least do not get the dreaded php
> memory error mentioned in my previous emails.
>
> Is there any way to ascertain exactly what may be causing the WSOD or is
> it simply a function of the way php works. I notice that php reads the
> config files on startup but not again unless restarted. could the
> problem be caused by memory overload through php, I'm grasping at
> straws  here.
 FYI: I am new to drupal and PHP, but I have been a programmer for
 25 years. Have you written any custom modules? If so, have you run
 syntax check (php -l)?

 :) I like drupal, although I would have written it in python. However,
 even python will give you a WSOD if you haven't included the right
 module....

 Also, I don't note where you said what OSes you are using. I recently
 transitioned from linux to mac and mac has got some gotchas with PHP
 and mysql.

 Best of luck. Here's hoping you get some more replies.
--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com