[support] How to safeguard sites from unwanted users

Wed Jun 12 11:25:45 UTC 2013

On 6/12/13 12:46 AM, Kamal Palei wrote:
> Tracey
> Thanks a lot. Probably spambot will guard against spam users
> registration to some extent.
>
> If somehow, some spam users register in site (we can determine
> manually or automated way), I would like to re-use the UID allocated
> for spam users should be re-used for future valid users. In that case,
> do we have any modules or any existing mechanism to achieve re-using
> the UIDs allocated to spam users previously.
>

> Thanks
> kamal
>

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM, Hummel, Tracey S - (thummel)
> <thummel at email.arizona.edu <mailto:thummel at email.arizona.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I've used the spambot module and it helped but it can't stop all
>     unwanted registrations.
>
>     Tracey
>
>     --------------------
>     Tracey Hummel
>     /Web Application Developer/
>     tracey at arizona.edu <mailto:tracey at arizona.edu>
>     http://tshummel.com
>     *From:* support-bounces at drupal.org

Why are you worried about loss of a few UID's, the table? You can have
about 4 BILLION different UID's, if you are worried about using up all
your UIDs you site must be EXTREMELY active, and there are a number of
other things that need to be looked at well before you run out of UIDs.
(and a relatively small change in table schema can increase the limit to
virtually unlimited by changing UID to a bigint everywhere it is stored).

--
Richard Damon