[support] Varnish

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 17 17:21:23 UTC 2013

You can set Varnish to connect to any port when you set your backend
directive. As far as Varnish on Port 80, that is always required for a
webserver, unless you want a URL that needs to specify a port (ie:
http://www.example.com:81 - or whatever port you want).

Make sure you have Apache listening on port 8080 in your Apache config.
You really don't need to open up that port in IPTables, since it is a
local connection between Varnish and Apache, but you do need to make
sure that Apache is also listening on localhost.

To make sure Apache is listening on the proper port,  go into a command
line and type:

lynx localhost:8080.

That will bring up the text web browser Lynx. If it isn't installed, go
ahead and install it with apt-get, yum or whatever package installer you
have. All major distributions have it open. That will tell you if the
webserver is actually able to connect to Apache or not.

Also make sure that Apache isn't also trying to listen on port 80. Look
at the listen directive in your apache config file. So you want listen
like this:

Listen 127.0.0.1:8080.

If you're using virtual hosts, make sure to specify the port in the
VHost declaration:

<VirtualHost *:8080>

What you're trying to achieve is having all connections to Apache go
through Varnish, as Varnish functions as a proxy server to Apache.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net
http://www.hollyit.net