[support] Drupal 8 and Symfony 2

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Thu Mar 28 15:31:28 UTC 2013

The short answer is that drupal 8 will start a long process of adopting portions of the symphony framework.  In the first iteration, the primary shift has to do with the class loader and event routing, which means that drupal's  menu/routing functions will be replaced with Symfony 2 components.  There are still many pieces of  drupal that may or may or may not be ported to the symfony framework.  That being said, solid full featured drupal 8 installations are likely to be a year off or more still, so much of the answer to your question will depend on when you expect to deliver your production sites.

There is a lot of value provided by non-symfony drupal framework components, so I'd encourage you to not limit your preparation to learning symfony, but rather consider learning drupal apis and start there.

Dave