[support] Captcha and spam issues

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 28 20:29:36 UTC 2013

One method I've used is to only give trusted users the privilege of
posting.  I allow for the user to register and accept that
registration based on the first logon mail link.  Then if they want to
post, comment or wiki, I have another role set to assign to them based
on asking me.  It keeps the SPAM off the site.

The other method is to use a service such as Mollom.  See
http://drupal.org/project/mollom for more.

Earnie

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Pia Oliver <pia at piasworld.com> wrote:
> I have two live sites hosted at Hostgator.com and one development
> site. All 3 are drupal7 sites and all webforms, forms of any kind are
> set up with Captcha 7.x-1.0-beta2; Image Captcha 7.x-1.0-beta2.
>
> All 3 sites's domains are registered at GoDaddy, the 2 live sites
> have the name servers pointing to  Hostgator. The dev site is under
> Hostgator's "domain" ie the numerical URL and "~/pia". The domain
> name is live  and an old site is still up there.
>
> One live site uses email addresses in a combination, some ending in
> ".net" which are processed through Godaddy; the ".com" processed by
> Hostgator.
>
> The sites were previously hosted at GoDaddy and had no issues with
> spam. Since hosting with Hostgator there is an ongoing issue with
> Spam. Even though the forms are **all** have Captchas enabled,
> submittals of the form are happening and I am getting floods of spam
> telling me that gibberish so and so has applied for an account.
> Occasionally, I get a filled out actual form where the different
> fields are filled out with gibberish or URLs pointing, mostly, to
> pornographic sites.
>
> How is this happening? I have been told that robots are not capable
> of deciphering an image but possibly math. That's why I have changed
> every single one to image captchas.
>
> I have talked with Hostgator numerous times, but so far they have not
> been able to solve this. I have even been warned by them of all the
> spam!
>
> URLs   HeavenSentDesserts.com    RandallHouseRareBooks.com
>
> thanks,
>
> Pia

Earnie