[support] Captcha and spam issues

Pia Oliver pia at piasworld.com
Tue May 28 17:59:59 UTC 2013

I have two live sites hosted at Hostgator.com and one development
site. All 3 are drupal7 sites and all webforms, forms of any kind are
set up with Captcha 7.x-1.0-beta2; Image Captcha 7.x-1.0-beta2.

All 3 sites's domains are registered at GoDaddy, the 2 live sites
have the name servers pointing to  Hostgator. The dev site is under
Hostgator's "domain" ie the numerical URL and "~/pia". The domain
name is live  and an old site is still up there.

One live site uses email addresses in a combination, some ending in
".net" which are processed through Godaddy; the ".com" processed by
Hostgator.

The sites were previously hosted at GoDaddy and had no issues with
spam. Since hosting with Hostgator there is an ongoing issue with
Spam. Even though the forms are **all** have Captchas enabled,
submittals of the form are happening and I am getting floods of spam
telling me that gibberish so and so has applied for an account.
Occasionally, I get a filled out actual form where the different
fields are filled out with gibberish or URLs pointing, mostly, to
pornographic sites.

How is this happening? I have been told that robots are not capable
of deciphering an image but possibly math. That's why I have changed
every single one to image captchas.

I have talked with Hostgator numerous times, but so far they have not
been able to solve this. I have even been warned by them of all the
spam!

URLs   HeavenSentDesserts.com    RandallHouseRareBooks.com

thanks,

Pia