[support] Accessing values in the $node variable..

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Wed May 29 01:01:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

The easiest method to deal with references and field collections is with the entity wrapper which is in the entity module.

http://www.drupalfunctions.com/api/rules/entity--entity.module/function/entity_metadata_wrapper/7.x

so in this case you would do something like

$wrappednode = entity_metadata_wrapper($node);

then to access to the field do the following.

$wrappednode->field_ref_patient->field_pat_fc_addr

I can't see what the fields are in the field_pat_fc_addr entity, you should get the idea. The entity wrapper will lazy load the additions fields, and also as you can see you don't need to worry about language as well.

Also you can do things like

$wrappednode->author->name

will return the user name of the author.

Gordon.