[support] Multiple file download

Tue Nov 26 01:02:12 UTC 2013

On 11/25/13, 3:01 PM, Chris Miller wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a content-type which includes a set of file fields.  I want to
> list this content in a view where each file field is expressed as a
> check-box indicating that the users would like to download a copy to
> their local machine.  I envision a grid of content rows with specific
> file columns as check-boxes.  Now I have a question:  How do I loop
> over all the content displayed in the view to collect the list of
> download candidates?  Additionally, how do I ask the user _*once*_ for
> the download destination?
>
> Chris.

I suspect that the problem you are going to run into implementing the
single ask for downloads location is the HTML security model. You, the
server, do NOT get to tell the client where to put the file, it will
either (possibly based on the user preferences) automatically place it
in a default download folder, or it may let the user have it ask for a
download location. The problem you are going to run into is that for a
give http request, I believe you can only supply a single file, so to
get multiple files download, it is going to require the use of
java-script, and since each file is a different "transaction", the
browser isn't going to normally let you link the destinations.

--
Richard Damon