[support] Trivial sub-theme: Renaming Bartik

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 10 06:38:16 UTC 2013

>> You can copy the /bartik/css folder over to your subtheme
>> >/sites/all/themes/yoursubtheme/  so you can override core theming
>> >using
>> >the correct terminology.
>> >Now the trap you will run into is:
>> >When you update Drupal core, it updates the core bartik theme which
>> >calls on a lot of core includes and this can break your
>> >bartiksubtheme.
>> >Been there, done that.
>> >Hope this helps
> This is certainly the clearest explanation of how to create a sub-theme, but it confuses me. I'm lead to believe that it is not necessary to reproduce all of the contents of the base theme in the directory of the sub-theme; the point is to inherit all of this so you also inherit updates. If I read this correctly (https://drupal.org/node/225125  ) I don't need to provide anything but at least one new stylesheet; everything is inherited from the base theme.
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Chris.
You are partially correct.
Understand just what you are inheriting, is the best advice I can offer
to you.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to theme Drupal.  It is a big,
complex, messy, time consuming  undertaking.
As a hint, have a look at say Garland, Mayo, Danland theme code and get
a feel for the depth of understanding needed. Mayo is a great study case
in complexity.

There are hundreds of theme styles and if you look closely they are
virtually variations of the same theme,  they just do things differently
but still call core functionality.

Every theme inherits most of it's functionality from core, that's the
basis of Drupal. But you will want to tweak, this is a given. And that
is where you need to copy out the bits you wish to manipulate. Golly we
are only talking about half a dozen or so files, not the whole system.

There is no need to reproduce all of the contents but you do have to
have your own templates in your sub directory. It's a safety precaution.

Mind you this is only a short cut, an easy way in to a quite substantial
development cycle, otherwise you will have to re do it all bit by bit
manually and wind up with much the same.

Bartik as with the other core themes has calls to the includes folder
and you will also have to copy some of those out as you need them to
your sub directory so that you can over ride them as needed. Don't go
there until you are comfortable with how the theming works.
HTH
Roger