[support] Ckeditor not visible by drupal, the dripal, version doesn't work

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 10 06:54:27 UTC 2013

> Hi,
> >
> >New user here.  I've installed drupal7 (7.14-2) as a debian package on wheezy.
> >Then, read lots of docs and tried to follow the tutorial here:
> >
> >https://drupal.org/node/1924660
> >
> >It says to install new modules, so I successfully installed
> >
> >admin_menu-7.x-3.0-rc4.tar.gz
> >imce-7.x-1.7.tar.gz
> >
> >into modules/contrib (I had to create contrib).  With the same procedure
> >I installed
> >
> >ckeditor_4.2.1_full.zip
> >
> >but whereas the other two became visible to drupal and can be enabled,
> >ckeditor never shows up.
> >
> >The above tutorial says "not to use the drupal version", so I downloaded
> >the one from ckeditor.com (the home page of ckeditor).
> >
> >If I point the browser to
Yes that is correct. Welcome to the same trap I fell into.
There is a Drupal ckeditor module that must be installed first, this is
not ckeditor it'self.

First, please install Drupal 7.23, it's a bit cleaner and more secure.
Download and install the drupal ckeditor module.
Go to the ckeditor home page and find the ckeditor_n.n.n.tar.gz file and
download to your /Downloads folder.
In the /var/www/html/drupal folder or where ever you have it,
Go to /sites/all/ and create a /libraries folder.
Copy the Downloaded CKeditor zip or tar.gz file to the /libraries folder.
Extract ckeditor so that you  have a /ckeditor folder in the /libraries
folder. This is the ckeditor that the Drupal ckeditor module looks for.

You will find that you need a few more modules and I strongly reccommend
the module_filter module as it does a great job of listing and searching
modules.

HTH
Roger