[support] Sub-theme

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 11 03:58:38 UTC 2013

I am starting to think that "what you mean by a sub theme" is not what
we are helping you with.
We are advising on creating a subset/variation of an existing theme.

I think that you simply wish to create certain changes to a base theme
by creating a folder containing those changes and nothing more.
As an example, say for instance that one of your requirements was to
change part of the css or maybe one line of the page.tpl.php of a base
theme. You, ideally, just want to have those bits of code in a file and
have it read by the base theme.

You wish your changes to be displayed as a choice in the [Appearance]
list. You cannot do this!
The [Appearance] system reads a pre defined structure. To do what you
want means redefining that structure in core and due to the inherrent
dangers, no one with any appreciation for the developers would
contemplate such unless there were a distinct community need.

A theme is a theme is a theme. It may be a subset but is still a
variation of a theme reqiring certain components which are acted upon by
the core system.

May I suggest that you study the Zen system of theme/subtheme. It can
give you an underlying tone of how and why.

On thinking more deeply about this, I can see merit in such a proposal
as Drupal would need only 2 themes, Admin and say Bartik. One could
possibly over ride tiny parts of the base theme to create an entirely
new look and feel.

Such things are possible in Ruby on Rails if one wanted to learn.

Roger