[support] Many false applications for accounts

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 02:32:10 UTC 2014

BINGO!

Just remember, spam accounts is a problem that even Google, Facebook,
Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. even face. Of all that man power and money, they
can't stop it, simply because it can't be stopped. Sure you can make the
spammers have to jump through hoops to register, but at the same time
your regular users are going to have to do the same thing. People
already balk at having to register, so making it even harder is just
going to kill off our website.

The only real prevention is coming up with a system to raise flags of
suspicious account registrations and then have a person actually manage
them. Outside of that, there isn't much more. That and making automation
tools is a lot simpler today. Process a web page and CSS to make sure
something is hidden or not? That used to require a ton of work a couple
of years ago. Now you can do it in less than 100 lines of code in
Node.js and PhantomJS. You can even easily trigger key events in order
on the form to make it look like a human is typing things in.

It's just become a fact of life and something we all have to learn to
deal with. I really think the next generation of spam combating modules
that will provide the best level of defense are going to be more geared
towards raising warning flags than prevention (3 registrations from the
same IP in an hour? Require admin authorization on any further ones.),
because prevention is so easy for these guys to get around now.

Jamie Holly
http://hollyit.net