[support] Features Question

Vaibhav Jain in.vaibhavjain at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 03:44:51 UTC 2014

Hey James,

I have tried updating everything, including Modules, Themes and Core, and
eventually many things did broke.
I did that by updating the Core first, check on the release notes and any
major changes, that will impact my custom code or contributed modules
settings.
If things break now, Dont panic, you might find many modules which will
work only after specific version of drupal core, because of a bug fix.

Next, you can start updating your modules one by one, recommended, and see
what version of module is compatible with which one. Also there might be a
complete new version of module available, which might not work for you,
something like from 7.x-1.x to 7.x-2.x, which is ideally not recommended,
you should upgrade within the same version.
You should test everything now.

Next, if you want to upgrade to themes, go ahead, that might not effect
much.

Lastly, if you see some features overridden, use Diff module and check for
any changes.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 6:31 AM, James R Stone <fndtn357 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am in a heavily customized Drupal Commerce site where I have 31
> Features. Eleven (11) of the features are based purely on off-the-shelf 3rd
> party Drupal modules, the rest of the Features (20) have dependencies on
> the other Features already existing and each other.
>
> I need to update the normal off-the-shelf 3rd party modules (40 of them)
> *and *Drupal core (from 7.23 to 7.26).
>
> In the past and on simpler websites, I have updated all of the modules (if
> non-problematic) then disabled them and updated Drupal core. After updating
> core I then turn modules on, one at a time, and make sure things are still
> working together.
>
> I have not used Features extensively like this and do not feel sure about
> the correct process for updating.
>
> My impression is that as I update modules, my Features might have some
> repercussions (do they show up as Overriden?) and that I should, one at a
> time, Update/Recreate my Features, download the code, upload the Feature to
> the website and turn it back on.
>
> Is this correct? Should I update all of the off-the-shelf 3rd party Drupal
> modules first? Then update all of the Features?
>
> Should I update one module at a time, checking for Overrides showing in
> Features and the updating those Feature(s) one at a time also?
>
> What would the best methodology be in this situation?
>
>  *James R Stone*
> *Drupal builder-developer-consultant*Messages: 216-635-5492 | Office:
> 216-931-0475
> fndtn357 at gmail.com
>
> <fndtn357 at gmail.com>
>   <https://drupal.org/user/255723>
>    [image: LinkedIn] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesrstone>
>    [image: Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/fndtn357>
>
> <http://www.twitter.com/fndtn357>"The skill of coding is to create a
> context in which other people can contribute."

Regards,
Vaibhav Jain