[support] Web site redirect

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 24 21:57:24 UTC 2015

Recently I enquired about  a web site suffering constant redirects
resulting in browser time outs and error messages.
Turns out the cause was the Lock/Unlock module.

A page I had created with no knowledge of that module's existence and
with pathauto turned creating the path /node/6229 on was published and
visible as admin but not anonymously  I was told to unlock the page with
the module. This caused the redirection problem.
The page was published, accessed via a link in a block in a side bar,
was not on the front page and was not sticky.

As admin I removed the sidebar link, unpublished the page, switched off
the Lock/Unlock via Configuration then deleted the page and the site
returned.

Thus the Lock/Unlock module is quite dangerous because it does not send
warnings, just trashes the site. Plus it makes it impossible for
approved editors to create new pages and have them display because they
have no admin privileges. Use with caution. I have not checked but
believe this would also impact on the way Workbench operates.

Additional note. I have pathauto switched off permanently now and create
paths to new pages by hand. This seems to solve 2 problems. 1 that the
Lock/Unlock module doesn't have to contend with /node/nnnn which in this
case it couldn't relate to but an actual path and 2 that the past
problem of admin screens failing with "insufficient memory" errors no
longer happens.

Roger