[themes] themes.drupal.org upgrade

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Aug 4 22:06:53 UTC 2006

Hello all

For tomorrow I have an upgrade of themes.drupal.org planned. And after taht I
want to change some concepts on short basis.

What will change during/after the upgrade:
  The themeswitcher http://themes.drupal.org/themeswitcher will dissapear
completely. It looks like crap, is not used often (acc to the logs) and it is
horrible in performance (no paging, no caching, read s files from disk to
generate the listing etc. We should/must look at a PHP page on Drupal.org
very soon, or else automate some project.module stuff to link to
themes.drupal.org. After all: selecting/finding themes is not the task of
themes.drupal.org

  We will have a completely skinned down Drupal on themes.drupal.org. Actually
it will be a Drupal with only story.module, comment.module, a few published
stories and a few comments. The rest are required (admin) modules. I will
remove all other modules.
This makes a horrible representation of themes/Drupal. Esp because the
niceness of themes is not defined by how well they render a story (Drupal is
far more then a blogging system). But by how well they handle the forums,
aggregators  and the admin area. How well they handle popular contribs such
as images. We need to find a solutution for this!

 We *really* need some process to select themes. Currently I am the only one
that manually reads trough theme code and the theme CSS/HTML to see if a
theme is fit for themes.drupal.org. This leads to a) a huge lag, themes may
be released for months before available b) a big security hole. I have only
two eyes, and simply reading code is NOT  a security measure.  Simply
trusting/installing committed and released contribs (themes) is not an option
IMO on our infrastructure. In the current pace we will get approx 10-15% of
the released themes online on themes.drupal.org without endangering
drupal.org too much!

Bèr
--
[ End-user Drupal services and hosting | Sympal.nl ]

Layoutkeuze, de stap voordat je gaat (laten) ontwerpen.:
 http://help.sympal.nl/layoutkeuze_de_stap_voordat_je_gaat_laten_ontwerpen