[themes] RTL directionality in the internet_services theme

Mohammed Al-shar' mohammed at atexplorer.com
Wed Dec 20 09:53:01 UTC 2006

hi.

I have been trying to hack the internet_services theme to work well in a multilingual environment, with an rtl locale, (arabic). here is what I did so far:

1. in my template.php file I put the following function to load the correct style sheet depending on the locale:
function phptemplate_stylesheet_import($stylesheet, $media = 'all') {
$rtl = in_array(locale_initialize(), array('ar', 'fa', 'he', 'ur'));
if (!$rtl) {
return theme_stylesheet_import($stylesheet, $media);
}
if ($stylesheet == base_path() . 'misc/drupal.css') {
$stylesheet = base_path() . 'misc/drupal-rtl.css';
}
if ($stylesheet == base_path() . path_to_theme() . '/style.css') {
$stylesheet = base_path() . path_to_theme() . '/style-rtl.css';
}
return theme_stylesheet_import($stylesheet, $media);
}

2. I modified the direction in the file style-rtl.css file that is supposed to get loaded when the locale is right to left like this:
/* rtl */
body {
direction: rtl;
/* text-align: right; */

3. in that same file, I replaced each occurance of float: left to float: right

as you can see at
www.nattiq.net
the site looks lovely in the english locale, and most of I wanted to achieve in the arabic one also is looking good, except for the issue of the right hand
block, it displays after some space. and, isn't this side bar, according to the code, supposed to be at the left hand side when the language is arabic?

can somebody look at the code and give me some ideas? I would be grateful for any. does it look the same way in browsers other than internet explorer? the
link is:
www.nattiq.net

Regards,
Mohammed al-shar'