[themes] Theme generator

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Sun Jan 8 13:58:28 UTC 2006

I have discussed theme engines like that before.
I posted because I thought that a little more control in the hands of
the user would be good, but then was swept away by my own imagination. :-)

I think it would be wise to differentiate between at least two kinds of
users:

A consultant with no real design skills, but with a need to do some
"theme tweaking" in customers installation. Online theme editor would
enable much easier consulting - online - at a 2000 miles distance.

An end user with a need/urge to "fiddle" with the design - more or less
a "skinning" exercise - for the fun of it.

Those who would not be in the target group: Professional
designer/consultant.
You have no need doing any more than providing a simple theme framework
for them. They design in Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver
etc. They do not change tools - even if what they come up with in the
end could be achieved by a super theme.

I also think that the project must differentiate between at least two
levels of sophistication:

"Skinning" - where what you change is colors, graphics and perhaps a
little layout. This can be done almost entirely by css. So actually I
think it should be a "css-module" in its own right. Selecting a color
scheme etc. It could provide a "skinning block" and a "skin-mixer/roulette"
 if anybody else understand what I mean by that.

"Theming" - where you can do real layout. Having different kinds of
content in different areas, and interactively more these areas in the
interface (scale, drag, drop - square marking the relative position and
size of a content area). This can be done in AJAX if there are any
takers. I believe this is probably a phase two thing, as it is more
sophisticated.

I envisioned a kind of "skin/theme-exchange". That could be a phase
three. It would probably mean that you'd need some kind of XML scheme to
support the exchange. It would be cool, but.... It could be the feature
which would make Drupal explode as a blogging/personal home page
platform. Some peole love to change their site design - and being able
to automatically download and change theme - with no real effort/skills
whatsoever, would probably prove very popular. It could also prove to be
pure eye-candy, worthless sillyness.

Best
Gunnar