[themes] Re: [infrastructure] [Drupal.org problem] IE7 Compatibility issue needs your attention

Theodore Serbinski tss24 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 20 19:20:07 UTC 2006

Hello all,

As a CSS developer and Drupal themer, I have been talking with Keryn
at Microsoft about IE7, along with Kieran (Civicspace) as well.

Their browser *does not* break the layout of the site and does adhere
to the standards. The problem lies in the article Edgard linked to.

Essentially, Microsoft is cleaning up their parser, so it will start
to *finally* be able to parse valid CSS and CSS2 and etc. As a result,
some widely known IE specific hacks no longer work.

In the case of Drupal.org, this is quite simple. The hack on
Drupal.org is used to align the menu tabs, that is the only thing
broken, it is quite small problem actually. In my experience, this
hack is *not* needed, if the CSS was more cleverly designed, the hack
would have not have been needed at all, as this is a simpler situation
to fix.

I actually applaud IE for *contacting us* and alerting us to the fact.
It will not be hard to fix Drupal so it doens't rely on the hack and
when IE7 *does* come out, we won't get hounded with lots of forum
posts saying "Drupal looks bad in my browser!". Not to mention, fixing
this hack would bring Drupal.org itself closer to fully validating.

ted