[themes] php and learning to theme

brendan carney info at fresh-off.com
Fri Jul 14 18:40:30 UTC 2006

hello!
my first post in this list..
what areas of PHP should i get familiar with (first) in order to really
customize themes?

a little background:  i've been poking around drupal for a while, and am
starting to get a feel for it.  i consider my knowledge of modern
table-less xhtml/css practices to be somewhere between intermediate and
advanced.  my knowledge of PHP (and programing in general) is very
limited.  i've made it through a few tutorials, and parts of a rather
poorly written php book.  in short, i know enough about php to be
willing to experiment, but it's still a little scary. (but only a little) =)

i love xhtml/css, falling hard for drupal, and am excited to start
learning PHP.  as i'm a graphic designer, being able really customize
themes is of extreme interest, and an area of the community i'd like to
be able to contribute to in the near future.

i'm planing to start going through online php tutorials more regularly
in order to become more familiar with php in general, and specifically
so that i can customize and develop drupal themes to my heart's content.

so again, what areas in php should i particularly focus on with regards
to themeing?

thanks!