[themes] although it’s a very powerful CMS, I didn’t have the greatest time with it as it came to be one of the most cumbersome and roundabout pieces of software...

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Wed Jun 14 16:47:11 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 14 juni 2006 18:08, schreef Kieran Lal:
> -I want to understand more clearly the benefits to new designers
> trying to understand Drupal theming

I asked a skilled designer a while ago, when I wrote my theme stuff/proposal
for Railfrog and this is what she wrote (translated to english by me)

«Do you know mollio? That is a theme, and the nice thing is that it has all
components in one page. One big HTML page, is very friendly for designers.
While that page also lists all elements that must be styled.
This solves two common problems: A designer does no know what to design and
will design one page only. Or will design all elements he sees on one page.
The other common problem is that a designer cannot oversee what the effects of
a certain design element looks like in the "big picture" if you work with all
sorts of loose files. And designers should never need a fully, filled with
content installed site to design on. We call that the F5 method.

>> How about code in the templates

I find nothing wrong with some PHP. as long as it is simple and consistent.

A personal thing I dislike in most template systems for CMSes, especially Open
Source CMSes have this, is that there are hundred ways to get to Rome.
Why? I, as designer want one way. Have that documented and worked out into
great detail. Not fifteen abstraction layers, several possible ways to design
a piece and so on. It is important for designers, who know nothing about the
system, to have clear borders and good documentation. That is more important
then huge flexibility, or lots of choices to do something.»

Hope this helps a little.  Bèr

--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |