[themes] Dreamweaver CS3 Extension for Drupal Themeing

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Thu Aug 16 01:10:27 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Peter Apokotos <drupal at apokotos.com> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2007, at 6:38 PM, Kieran Lal wrote:
>

> On 8/15/07, Peter Apokotos <drupal at apokotos.com> wrote:
> >
> > The extension would make every template and css style-sheet needed for a
> > complete theme.
> >

> I assume Dreamweaver does CSS today.  Is that correct?
>

> Yes and it already does XHTML 1.0 Strict too.
>
> Should it pick from a couple solid bases, like Garland and Minetti?
>

> Something similar.   I see mostly frameworks for different types of
> designs.

Could you make a list?

And it would use an Assistant Interface for the building each theme.

> Do you want to use PHP based PHPTemplate or a mark-up template language
> like Smarty or PHPTal?  Our target users are not PHP devs, if they have
> learn PHP it's going to be a problem.
>

> PHPTemplate is the way to go unless the theme method is changing again D6
> like in D5.  And the PHP would be just drag and drop.    There will be a
> panel for all of the Drupal PHP functions.  And when you hover over them in
> Dreamwweaver it will explain what the function does.

For the record, CivicSpace uses Smarty Template and believe that it's easier
to edit and comprehend than PHPTemplate.  But with the automated tools for
PHPTemplate themes like contemplate and view and cck wizards it is hard to
keep up.

And have all of the theme template code built in so it would be drag and
> > drop.
> >

> So we need a library of template files or template functions that can be
> stubbed in.
>

> Correct.  Too bad the theme documentation for Drupal is so poor.  Or it
> would allow the developer of the extension to finish it faster but with all
> the options of Drupal for each person to create their own unique theme.

Since good documentation is a part of the design, could you be specific
about why Drupal's theme documentation is poor?  It will help us set a
design goal.

Are we ready to start doing wireframes?

Kieran

--
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.