[themes] Workflow Question

Laura pinglaura at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:34:35 UTC 2009

Something others have not said, but is extremely important: Do not
modify a theme you download. Make your theme a sub-theme of the base
theme you select, and then just override what you want. More info on
that is here: http://drupal.org/node/225125

Zen is a popular choice for base theme. I use Studio theme, which is
similar (the themes' respective maintainers, John Albin and Al
Steffen, have collaborated on and shared many ideas) but with
differences, too. You may find one or the other to be more to your
liking or needs for a particular design.

If you're working in Drupal 7, you will find the Stark theme in Drupal
core, which is there to be used as a base theme.

By using a base theme, you can pretty much avoid the PHP coding
challenges, at least for the most part. Let the base theme handle
those things. You can focus on your CSS ... and take on markup only
when you need to override something the base theme is doing.

I would not recommend starting from scratch if you are new to Drupal.
The PHP functions are many, and if you don't follow best practices you
could end up opening up security vulnerabilities.

Do, however, read up on the theme structures. You will want to pay
particular attention to regions.

Regarding layout, there are several ways to go. Drupal core provides
some control with blocks administration. You could also look at the
Panels module for doing page content and blocks layout in one place. I
would recommend a serious look at Context module, though. You might
find it more intuitive for creating conditions for different layouts.

Laura