Re: [translations] German translation: a german word for “node”

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 19:21:30 UTC 2005

Hello,

thanks for the answers so far. It would be really interesting to know
what a native speaker associates with the word when he hears "node".
But I somehow can't cotton on to using "Knoten". A node/knot is rather
a term that stands for something that is connected - not a single
content element. On the other hand, the same "problem" exists probably
also in english but the inhibition of giving a word another meaning is
- at least that's what I think - higher in the german language. And
that's possibly also the reason why we prefer "importing" english
words into the german language rather than inventing new ones or using
others.

Gerhard, what exactly do you mean with
> Also, the word 'node' should not show up in the end-user visible strings anymore due to its technical nature.

Regards,
Konstantin