Re: [translations] German translation: a german word for “node”

Jose A Reyero drupal at reyero.net
Fri Dec 9 16:48:20 UTC 2005

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> Morten Wulff wrote:
>
>> -snip initial description-
>>

>>> Translation proposals for "node":
>>> - Inhaltselement: A somewhat complicated word
>>>

>> This is the solution I have chosen for the Danish translation
>> ("indholdselement").
>>
>> According to the dictionary, "knude"/"Knoten" is a valid translation
>> but it doesn't really get the meaning across. I considered using the
>> word "knudepunkt" but that sounds too technical and not quite right.
>>

> The question is if the word node is immediately known as a meaning for
> content to an English native speaker. I have some doubt about this,
> and therefore would just use the literal translation Knoten. Also, the
> word "node" should not show up in the end-user visible strings anymore
> due to its technical nature.

Not that I speak German, but about nodes, we in the Spanish translation
take it as Drupal word, which we translate as 'nodo' because it's a
Spanish word so it sounds familiar to people, and it is also the Spanish
translation of some of the other meanings of 'node' in English, but not
all of them.
Also, I don't think node in English has any real meaning like the one it
has in Drupal: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.asp?Word=node

What I mean is that it doesn't matter whether it has that exact meaning
in your language because we are really creating or extending words here.
So the really important thing may be that someone reading 'nodo' in
Spanish knows that it is the same that 'nodo' in English when talking
about Drupal. This 'estending our existing vocabulary to mean these
other concepts'  happens all the time when you translate technical words
from English, specially about computers.

Hope this helps