[translations] Advice on starting a translation project

Ram Dak ramdak5000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 08:06:25 UTC 2006

Hi,

I would like to initiate and oversee (and possibly sponsor) the development a translation of Drupal into my native language Tamil, one of the many languages of India. It is spoken by about 65 million people all over the world.

I have been with Drupal for about 15 months, but have no idea whatsoever about translation and would appreciate advice on how to get this rolling. Should I apply for a CVS account? Should I concentrate on the core platform first? What about contrib modules? Should I start from scratch or use the stuff done by a few already?

Thanks in advance,
Ramdak