[translations] Advice on starting a translation project

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Thu Apr 27 10:14:41 UTC 2006

Ram Dak wrote:
> I would like to initiate and oversee (and possibly sponsor) the development a translation of Drupal into my native language Tamil, one of the many languages of India. It is spoken by about 65 million people all over the world.

I am looking forward to see Tamil added to our repository :)

> I have been with Drupal for about 15 months, but have no idea whatsoever about translation and would appreciate advice on how to get this rolling.

I'll try to help. I have to admit that I don't translate much myself and
so others should offer suggestions as well.

>  Should I apply for a CVS account?

Once you have translated a part of the Drupal strings.

>  Should I concentrate on the core platform first?

Yes

>  What about contrib modules?

Do that later.

>  Should I start from scratch or use the stuff done by a few already?

There might be other projects which already have been translated to
Tamil. You might be able to use their translations as a sort of
dictionary. I would look at the bigger projects like Gnome or KDE.

I think you should have a look at our handbook: http://drupal.org/node/11130

I've tried to describe the process there. Please point out any
inconsitencies or parts that are unclear so the can be clarified. You
should start your translation with the file general.pot, it contains
strings that are used in more than one place and therefore has the best
initial return on investment. It is also needed for the packaging system
to work.

Cheers,
    Gerhard