[translations] Where is this translation problem?

Miguel Duarte home at miguelduarte.net
Sat Apr 21 21:09:07 UTC 2007

>> There are some expressions we translated, with the latest "pot" files,
>> and on the 5.1 they are appearing in English.
>
>The problem is by design: When you install Drupal, these strings are
>inserted in the database. They are wrapped in t() (or st()), but
>since you don't have a translation at install time, the english
>strings are written to the database. You can solve this problem by
>renaming the "installer.po" from your translation tarball to "es.po"
>or "de.po" and copying it to /profiles/default". The Drupal installer
>then prompts you with a language selection prior to the installation.
>
>Konstantin

Hi

Your explanation makes sense, as I tried other translations (spanish)
and I found exactly the same problem. But this is a really nasty
problem. First it gives really a bad image to the translations, as the
create content page is one of the main pages people use, and second,
much more important, it will create trouble for site owners, as a lot
of people that will use their sites will not know English at all and
those options will confuse them.

Is anybody trying to solve this serious quality problem?
On sites already installed what can a webmaster do to solve this problem?

Regards,

Miguel Duarte

--
Mobile: +351.966075978