[translations] Where is this translation problem?

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sat Apr 21 22:11:08 UTC 2007

Miguel Duarte wrote:
> Your explanation makes sense, as I tried other translations (spanish)
> and I found exactly the same problem. But this is a really nasty
> problem. First it gives really a bad image to the translations, as the
> create content page is one of the main pages people use, and second,
> much more important, it will create trouble for site owners, as a lot
> of people that will use their sites will not know English at all and
> those options will confuse them.

Well, if they were comfortable *installing* Drupal in English, then how
they don't know English? Setting up content types should be part of the
web site setup process.

> Is anybody trying to solve this serious quality problem?
> On sites already installed what can a webmaster do to solve this problem?

1. On an already installed site, if you have only one language, you can
edit your content type names and descriptions to suit your needs.

2. On an already installed site, if you have more languages, the i18n
module suite provides user defined content translation (such as content
type names and descriptions).

3. Drupal 6 will have a localized installer built in (now you need to
grab autolocale module / localized profile yourself to get a foreign
language Drupal out of the box).

4. Drupal 6 will hopefully have some solutions to translate content type
names and descriptions as well as other user defined text.

Gabor