[translations] central space for contrib pos

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Aug 3 21:40:27 UTC 2007

Alaa Abd El Fattah wrote:
> working on the Arabic translation, we have a small team of translators
> being paid by different projects to translate drupal. we are trying to
> do quality control and unify the vocabulary as much as possible (not a
> simple task considering how many different people's and nations speak
> arabic).
>
> however the requirement to store contrib po's in the contrib module's
> CVS directory makes it very difficult to track which modules are
> translated and and the whole quality control process becomes very
> tedious.
>
> for 4.7 translation we just dumped contrib module POs in the
> translations/ar directory
>
> but I'm not sure that's a good idea, I thought about having a
> translations/ar/contrib subdirectory or even starting a new project for
> Arabic contrib translations (translations/ar_contrib).

Yes, that was a bad idea, and it is a *very* bad idea to have this
ar_contrib project. Maybe you find it hard to quality control your
translations, but it would be very hard to pair modules *and* their
branches and several releases, if you have your own directory tree.

With Google Summer of Code support, I am working on a solution for you.
Read this: http://groups.drupal.org/node/5219

Gabor