[translations] language code problem (for kurdish)

Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen freso.dk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:34:20 UTC 2008

2008/1/18, Amed Çeko Jiyan <amedcj at gmail.com>:
>[...] That is
>because they don't know any thing about Kurdish language(s). Kurdish is a
>languages family as Scandinavian.
>After i start to translate Drupal into Kurdish Kurmancî, some other friends
>started to translate into Kurdish Soranî. We are translating Drupal into two
>languages but we have one language code (ku). [...]

So there is no language "Kurdish"? According to Wikipedia, Kurdish is
considered by some to be in three parts (Northern (Kurmanji), Central
(Sorani), and Southern (Zaza-Gorani)), although this is also a topic
of linguistic debate.[1] However, as I'm very much *for* spreading
both languages and dialects, I'd say: Just use the ISO 639-3 codes!
"kmr" for Kurmanji and "ckb" for Sorani.

(By the way, I only investigated this as I am Scandinavian meself
(Danish, to be exact)... >_>)

>[...] I have
>allready created ku, ku_KU, so_KU in CVS directory.
>I would Drupal will let us to use ku_KU and so_Ku as languages codes.

so_KU would mean "Somali, as spoken in KU" (apparently, there's no
"ku" country code[2]). I'm pretty sure this is not your intention. :)
Again, I'd say: Go with the ISO 639-3 codes I listed above.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdish_language#Dialects
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2
--
Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>