[translations] language code problem (for kurdish)

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Jan 20 12:37:44 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 9:34 PM, Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen <freso.dk at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/18, Amed Çeko Jiyan <amedcj at gmail.com>:
> >[...] That is
> >because they don't know any thing about Kurdish language(s). Kurdish is a
> >languages family as Scandinavian.
> >After i start to translate Drupal into Kurdish Kurmancî, some other friends
> >started to translate into Kurdish Soranî. We are translating Drupal into two
> >languages but we have one language code (ku). [...]
>
> So there is no language "Kurdish"? According to Wikipedia, Kurdish is
> considered by some to be in three parts (Northern (Kurmanji), Central
> (Sorani), and Southern (Zaza-Gorani)), although this is also a topic
> of linguistic debate.[1] However, as I'm very much *for* spreading
> both languages and dialects, I'd say: Just use the ISO 639-3 codes!
> "kmr" for Kurmanji and "ckb" for Sorani.

Well, we need to stick to one standard, which is used around the web,
so we use the RCF4646 system, as explained in a previous mail, which
is supposed to handle such issues. I called for those with better
knowledge of Kurdish languages to look around that RCF in the hopes
that there is something defined which is better suitable for our case.

Gabor