[translations] translations Digest, Vol 27, Issue 12

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun Jan 20 12:58:28 UTC 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 6:33 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter <gerhard at killesreiter.de> wrote:
> > When I was inquiring about starting the Scots translation (which I
> > still have to get out of the vapor ware state...), I'm pretty sure I
> > was told it wouldn't be a problem to use "sco" (there isn't really any
> > alternative code I could use), so I'm guessing that it shouldn't be a
> > problem here either. But I am by no means an authority on Drupal's
> > relations to ISO 639 codes, so, yeah. :)
>
> I think it makes sense to use these codes. However, I'd like to hear
> from Goba if his locale work will support them (it IMHO should).

The locale / language system works with whatever language codes. The
reasons we are trying to stick to one language code is that

 - when Google indexes your page, the language code you tell it (in
the HTML output of most themes) will be used to index the content
under that language
 - when a browser comes with language preferences, your site might
provide it with the specific language version it prefers (depending on
your configuration)... this only works if browsers and websites use
the same language

So generally, we try to advocate interoperability. That's why we
should look closer for options in the bounds of RCF464, which all
parties on the web scene should obey to. If there does not happen to
be any solution there, feel free to make exceptions, but be aware,
that search engine friendliness of content in your language, browser
language preferences, etc. will not work as expected.

I'd suggest looking at some browsers as well. Do they allow you to set
these languages in their preferences. There was a short note on
Firefox not supporting Kurdish languages properly in the thread
starter mail, so that might not be a good solution to look there :)

Gabor