[consulting] managing many sites

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Dec 13 07:00:17 UTC 2005

On 12/12/05, Khalid B <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> > Also, I have just started to use a host which provides linux-shell
> > access.  This has greatly simplified my time spent doing admin
> > activities since I can apply new releases as patches rather than the
> > "backup, remove, replace" I just have to do "backup, patch" which is
> > much faster.
>
> I am also a command line guy, and find that it is much more
> productive. However this is a mindset that I do not expect many to
> share.
>
> Another strategy that some on this list use is checkout Drupal
> directly via CVS to the target machine, and upgrade by doing a "cvs
> update".
>
> I  have not used this scheme, but someone who does can tell us more about
> it.

I think I had asked on the docs list at some point that this CVS method get
documented for advanced users. Many developers use this method to keep their
sites up to date (usually on a staging copy first, then applied to live). In
fact, Drupal.org itself is kept up to date using this method.

There are some instructions on how to keep your own local copy of CVS -- see
http://drupal.org/node/5123. We do a sort of multi-step process, where we
actually use SVN, sync to Drupal CVS, make changes to our SVN repository,
and then checkout/update from there.

And, um, high all! really busy on a bunch of things, need to do a fuller
intro and respond to some older messages in a bit. Hope to see some of you
in Vancouver in February!

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bryght.com