[consulting] managing many sites

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 09:32:12 UTC 2005

> I think I had asked on the docs list at some point that this CVS
> method get documented for advanced users. Many developers use this
> method to keep their sites up to date (usually on a staging copy
> first, then applied to live). In fact, Drupal.org itself is kept up
> to date using this method.

When not using CVS, using a multi-site setup can save you a lot of
time because you only have to upgrade one Drupal installation.
However, when using CVS, you'll find that a multi-site setup is
suddenly a lot less attractive; CVS is a time saver on its own, and
using a multi-site setup doesn't buy you much extra time over using
CVS.  Furthermore, maintaining individual sites using CVS has a
number of additional advantages: (i) you can upgrade one site at a
time (no mass breakage), (ii) CVS will attempt to merge custom
changes, (iii) you can get bugfixes before a new release is made
available, and much more.  There might be exceptions to this rule but
for nearly all use cases, CVS is superior compared to a multi-site
setup. Period.