[consulting] The website development process

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Tue Dec 13 10:56:02 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.pingmag.jp/2005/12/09/the-website-development-process/  ;-)

Fun.

What I found interesting was the discussion of working on individual
*pages*. In Drupal, we tend to focus on the design of:
* elements -- such as blocks, item lists, etc.
* content types -- a blog post vs. an event or image node
* views -- front page, blog, forum, event, etc.

What also wasn't discussed, perhaps again because of the point of view that
the site is DONE once it's created once, is the design of (typically block
level) elements that are included in body content. I usually focus on:
* order and unordered lists (maybe more than one style)
* blockquotes
* images, potentially with caption DIVs

Note: this is very much coming from a conceptual point of view...i.e. things
I cover with the designer, being as how I'm no artist.

The other part that is missing is user scenarios and/or workflow and/or
roles...again, doesn't make sense for a "static" site, but very important
for Drupal sites which have user interaction (even if it is 1 or more staff
members editing).

Just some thoughts...love to hear more. Back in the day, I got the best
information at the Evolt (http://www.evolt.org) mailing lists, who not too
long ago switched to Drupal. Anyone have other design/consulting resources
to share?

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bryght.com