[consulting] The website development process

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Tue Dec 13 15:34:25 UTC 2005

>From a multi-site, multi-client, multi-class point of view,
the site development has additional components.
Certainly, the tracking of :
* Roles
* Workflow
* permissions/role
* Page permissions

are important, but additionally for a multi-site process,
it would be good to be able to represent:

* life cycles of the site (stages of site use)
* life cycles of role membership
* upgrade cycle/process
* abstraction of structure -> export of higher level configuration

Boris Mann <boris at bryght.com> writes:

 % What I found interesting was the discussion of working on individual
 % *pages*. In Drupal, we tend to focus on the design of:
 % * elements -- such as blocks, item lists, etc.
 % * content types -- a blog post vs. an event or image node
 % * views -- front page, blog, forum, event, etc.

 % What also wasn't discussed, perhaps again because of the point of view that
 % the site is DONE once it's created once, is the design of (typically block
 % level) elements that are included in body content. I usually focus on:
 % * order and unordered lists (maybe more than one style)
 % * blockquotes
 % * images, potentially with caption DIVs

 % ....

 % The other part that is missing is user scenarios and/or workflow and/or
 % roles...again, doesn't make sense for a "static" site, but very important
 % for Drupal sites which have user interaction (even if it is 1 or more staff
 % members editing).

                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .