[consulting] Successful large enterprise deployments of Drupal

Zack Rosen zack at civicspacelabs.org
Tue Dec 13 23:49:35 UTC 2005

> Over Thanksgiving, I was talking with a relative who runs clinical
> trials
> throughout North America and Europe. They need a content management
> solution
> and are about to spend $750k in licensing fees on Documentum. I
> told her
> about CivicSpace and how it works. She said that is great, it does
> exactly
> what they are looking for, but they are not going with anything
> licensed
> under the GPL.

This is open-source FUD that will eventually* die taking the
organizations who still believe in it down with it.  In the meantime
the best route to combat this (lack of) argument IMO is to line up
all the 'enterprise' peers of this organization and have them shout
the praises of open-source and Drupal.

> Talked to another relative who works for Ford motor company. They
> are all
> about forward deployments, and he uses a PDA as his primary
> computer. He
> said unless a product has 4 or 5 years of benchmarks behind it,
> they don't
> even look at it as an enterprise solution. The risk for not being
> able to
> fix something that is not working properly are too high to consider
> less
> mature platforms.

We need two things
1) Well written case studies
2) Solid benchmarks

The first can happen pretty easily IMO.  Simply a matter of
interviewing high profile current users of Drupal (Air America, The
Onion) and writing it up and posting it to Drupal.org.  The second is
going to take an engineering budget or a resourceful volunteer.
Michael, I was under the impression you did some benchmarking for
BetterCa - any chance we could get these compiled and posted?

* may take a while....

-Zack