[consulting] Modules ratings (was: managing many...)

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Dec 14 06:35:54 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Dan Robinson <dan at civicactions.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm glad I kept reading through all that kruft ( :) sorry - but I really
> don't think that conversation should have happened here - if I were the
> list manager.... :) ).

Theoretically, John Sechrest and I are list moms of some kind...but really,
it's going to take a little while to see what kind of conversation happens
here. I'm OK with a wide range of conversations for now...obvious support
goes to support, but pretty much anything that falls under the rubric of
best practices and/or "what is your approach?" is fair game right now.

This is a *really big deal* imho.  I think the
> sooner this could happen the better (I think I heard that Boris is
> working on it).

Nice toss :P We discussed this in Amsterdam, and various "Ranking for
modules", ranging from direct gathered information (aka drupal.module phone
home to report enabled modules) to "let users rate". I owe some notes from
meetings, and then we need to as a community commit some development time. I
said that a "user rate" is something that I was more interested in
supporting rather than phone home.

My personal opinion is:

> 1) Just have a simple "overall" rating - 1-5 scale.  I think the idea of
> drilling down to a more granular level of "stability, usability..." etc
> is interesting - but really not necessary (given my suggestion #2).

I believe this will be one of the approaches.

2) Allow for comments - just allow people to riff.  Everything will come
> out in the wash.  People will see the modules with higher ratings and
> they will read the comments.  Each of us can add what we like/don't like
> about the module in the comments.  This would cut HOURS out of making a
> decision to use or not use a particular module.

Make a book page and/or comment on the documentation/uses there....comments
will be like forum threads, and ultimately it will take HOURS reading
comments to decide what to use, especially with low levels of knowledge
participating.

We now have close to a 1:1 relationship between modules and documentation.
Now, we just need the next step of linking project module to the
documentation section (I think there are existing fields that could be used
for this).

3) For extra credit - create a "Drupal Peer Panel" - make it really big
> and really simple.  You get to be on the "Drupal Peer Panel" if you are
> recommended and seconded by current Peers (the first members can be
> chosen by our fearless leader).  Only Peers can rate and comment.  This
> group should grow to a couple of hundred people quickly.  For the most
> part this panel will be people that the community recognizes as someone
> who actually knows a little about the product, not someone "fresh off
> the street".  (If you don't like this part of the proposal just do 1 and
> 2 above).

 I like the concept, but I think certified modules make more sense.

Can we do this?  Pretty please....  I think this would be a huge benefit
> to the community.

Sure...all it needs is code (seriously). The VotingAPI is looking nicely
baked now, so that's doable. The phone home needs work, and the Peer Panel
needs lots of work.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bryght.com