[consulting] Modules ratings (was: managing many...)

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Wed Dec 14 06:14:25 UTC 2005

Folks,

I'm glad I kept reading through all that kruft ( :) sorry - but I really
don't think that conversation should have happened here - if I were the
list manager.... :) ).  This is a *really big deal* imho.  I think the
sooner this could happen the better (I think I heard that Boris is
working on it).  My personal opinion is:

1) Just have a simple "overall" rating - 1-5 scale.  I think the idea of
drilling down to a more granular level of "stability, usability..." etc
is interesting - but really not necessary (given my suggestion #2).
2) Allow for comments - just allow people to riff.  Everything will come
out in the wash.  People will see the modules with higher ratings and
they will read the comments.  Each of us can add what we like/don't like
about the module in the comments.  This would cut HOURS out of making a
decision to use or not use a particular module.
3) For extra credit - create a "Drupal Peer Panel" - make it really big
and really simple.  You get to be on the "Drupal Peer Panel" if you are
recommended and seconded by current Peers (the first members can be
chosen by our fearless leader).  Only Peers can rate and comment.  This
group should grow to a couple of hundred people quickly.  For the most
part this panel will be people that the community recognizes as someone
who actually knows a little about the product, not someone "fresh off
the street".  (If you don't like this part of the proposal just do 1 and
2 above).

Can we do this?  Pretty please....  I think this would be a huge benefit
to the community.

Dan

>That said - here's a goal for this list: a great service that "drupal
>professionals" could both get behind and benefit from would be some sort
>of certification system / rating / etc for modules so there was some
>clue or indication what in the great big sea of contrib actually
>*works*. (besides just avoiding stuff with my name on it)

This seems like a great goal, but perhaps the means to get there is to
wait for voting on modules with the implementation of voting API in
4.7.  I'm thinking of voting in categories like stability, usability,
performance, frequency of updates.

Two problems with this plan are the data getting polluted by bad votes
and that not all modules are hosted on drupal.org meaning that you
can't vote on them from somewhere else.

Other than that, I'm not sure how to really get opinions on modules
recorded/aggregated aside from an undertaking so massive that nobody
could actually individually do it.

Greg