[consulting] DrupalCOM: european Small Business distro

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Thu Dec 15 17:12:51 UTC 2005

On 12/15/05 12:00 PM, Boris Mann wrote:

> On 12/15/05, *Dan Robinson* <dan at civicactions.com
> <mailto:dan at civicactions.com>> wrote:
>

>     In short I think that a summary of the above would be to say "impose a
>     'simple' information architecture (IA) and navigational context (menus)
>     for a 'brochure' website" - the IA is a simple hierarchy and some
>     blocks.  I should be able to "declare" something like the following -

>     Our Services
>         Strategy
>         Marketing
>         Technology Consulting
>

> <snip>
>
>     Once that is done I should have a site with menus - DONE
>
>     This by the way is a Joomla killer imho (tm).
>

> This is completely doable today...use book pages as the base for your
> static content. Enable the book navigation block. And...DONE.
>
> Turn off all other node types except for:
> * story (use this for news/press releases)
>
> Optional:
> * blog (if you want to have a "company blogs" section)

I think the new menu_otf stuff in 4.7 will help this a fair bit. And,
while yes you can do it with books, I agree books are non-intuitive and
not totally ideal. Personally, I think the menu system is the way to go
here.

A friend of mine here in Toronto recently launched a drupal site:

http://www.avenza.com/

that's pretty brochure-y and has the kind of navigation stuff most
corporate sites are looking for. (uses menu and menu_otf, 4.6, and some
added menu stuff in the theme).
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net