[consulting] Synchronizing data between a desktop database application and Drupal/mysql

Steve Dondley sdondley at dondley.com
Thu Dec 15 17:31:17 UTC 2005

I've got a client who uses a custom software solution based on FoxPro
for tracking job trainees.  In the future, he wants to integrate and
share this data with his web site.  For example, a trainee might visit
the site and register for a class there.  He'd like to have his local
database reflect this new applicant.  Or, he might want to create a
new class in his database locally and have it listed on the site.

A sister organization to my client's was able to achieve this for
about $7K using ASP.NET.  I'd like to be able to offer an open source
solution and have it integrated with the Drupal site I'm moving them
to.

I've done only minimal work synchronizing a proprietary front end
database program (Microsoft Access) with a mysql database.  This is
not an area I'm familiar with.  So first I'm wondering if someone
could comment of the feasability of using FoxPro as a front end to a remote
mysql database.  Second, I'd be interested to know if anyone
is interested in being a subcontractor or if anyone knows someone I should
get in touch with.  Note that this could lead to more work for other sister
organizations of my client.

--
Dondley Communications
http://www.dondleycommunications.com

Communicate or Die: American Labor Unions and the Internet
http://www.communicateordie.com