[consulting] DrupalCOM: european Small Business distro

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 09:01:00 UTC 2005

> Now the funny thing with all this is: its so darn simple!. It is so
> simple,
> that drupal cannot do it! Drupal adds complexity all over the
> place. And most
> often the biggest bulk of the work lies in getting rid of that
> complexity and
> getting rid of all these pages, links, read-counters, attachement-
> lists,
> user-profiles, post-dates, and what more.

Make no mistake.  Much of this is not specific or limited to small
businesses.  It are core improvements.

I'd like to see most of the improvements that come out of this
discussion to go straight into Drupal core!  No, not to a DrupalCOM
distribution.  Why?  Because if you want to build a community
website, an e-commerce website, a campaign website, a news website, a
classroom website, or any other level 3+ website, you still need
_all_ the level 3 functionality.  Everyone needs a contact form,
everyone needs an about page, everyone has to manage one or two
custom blocks, everyone has to create a navigation structure,
everyone needs to upload some documents/images.  Everyone.  As easy
to use as possible.

None of the complaints or features in this thread were specific or
limited to small businesses ... except for the business-specific pre-
configured navigation structure, maybe.  The DrupalCOM distribution
should be a 50-line MySQL file.  All the other improvements should go
to core.

Keep in mind that Drupal 4.7 is what you'll have to sell to your
customers in 2006.  If your business depends on Drupal, there is
still time to get many small improvements into Drupal 4.7.0 (eg.
improved default configuration, improved out-of-the-box experiences,
improved interfaces, less configuration overhead).  All it takes is
some of your time and resources and all of us (including your own
business) get to benefit from it for months to come.  You better be
quick though.