SAME OLD SAME OLD WEB20 Ho Ho ho.. Was: Re: [consulting] Levels of websites

Gunnar Langemark gunnar at langemark.com
Fri Dec 16 09:10:10 UTC 2005

Andre,
I would tend to agree with you - on a technical base. Web2.0 is Old hat
- (adaptive path path here=
http://adaptivepath.com/images/publications/essays/What_puts_the_2_in_Web_20.pdf)

Web2.0 is very useful though, for educating clients, and turning new
"tricks" into money for your consulting business.
There's a lot of fuss about Web2.0, but I tended to ignore it - just
because I was so used to these things from my work with Drupal for instance

---
But the other day I had a wake up call!
My boss (yes I have a boss at my daytime job, serving the almighty MS)
and I were both at a meeting talking about the future of our integrated
Micosoft Axapta Association Administration ERP modules (including the
member self service and community building web modules that I
architected), and he told us that he had seen the future. He had been to
Amazon.com (apparently for the first time?) - and had experienced "the
page you made" and "other people who bought this also bought...".
Really - this is true. He had had a revelation then and there.

I mean - I was speechless! I've worked with this guy for four years. I
have tried to educate him on what the web is, what is possible, what web
services are, how social networking on the web works, where are we going
- etc etc. I have even shown him and others my Langemarks Cafe.
All this time my own boss and my own collegues have nodded and said yes
yes.
And yet my boss NEVER UNDERSTOOD ANYTHING AT ALL!

Small wonder that we have a hard time going in the right direction,
making the right calls, and spending our resources wisely.

----

Don't take for granted that people get it.

Thus - Web2.0 can do wonders for you. Web2.0 is a spell, a buzzword, but
it is also an opportunity to teach the wonders of the web yet another
time - to all those people out there who do not really get it yet.
And the good thing is: They don't have to feel embarrassed - because
it's a whole new web!
:-)

Best
Gunnar