[consulting] Levels of websites

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Fri Dec 16 16:07:53 UTC 2005

On 12/16/05, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:53:30 +0100, Gunnar Langemark
> <gunnar at langemark.com> wrote:
>

> > Boris Mann wrote:
> >> My friend Troy Angrignon wrote what I consider to be a great post on
> >> the 18 levels of *mental* evolution that people/companies/clients go
> >> through in thinking about their websites.
> >>
> >> See http://www.troyangrignon.com/blog/_archives/2005/6/19/955532.html
> >
> > Excellent read.
> > :-)
>
> Let's see some fallacies.
>
> "I'm sure getting a lot of complaints about my site from people using
> other browsers and other machines" -- _sure thing_ I have yet to see a
> client who came to me with this. Despite hard data many clients still
> think IE is the world.

Sure...but they get complaints if their site doesn't work in Firefox.
Clients don't care (meaning it has to work in *their* browser, even if that
is Mac/IE 5.2), but they do if they get calls from customers or potential
customers saying "your website looks broken". And that may not even make
them get a new website, it will just make them frustrated with their
previous website designer.

"Hey, let's start blogging!" -- well, I am really living in a different
> part of the world, but a businessman making this decision... I see this as
> a huge leap (or impossible leap)

A businessman who would like to get high ranking in Google (SEO) will run a
company blog (for the companies that this makes sense for) and/or appoint
someone to blog. I realize this is much less prevalent in Europe, but that's
because many of the tools, marketing, etc. have been in English. Blog and
you get more traffic to your website, it's that simple.

If you are not working with your clients to explain and consult with them on
these issues, you are doing their web presence a disservice. These certainly
are much softer skilled types of activities....nothing to do with technology
at all, really. And hey, I know quite a few people that make good money
blogging for other people...ghostwriting, essentially.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bryght.com