[consulting] DrupalCOM: european Small Business distro

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Sat Dec 17 21:38:21 UTC 2005

Dan Robinson <dan at civicactions.com> writes:

 % Interesting philosophical question - but I'm not sure that i can even
 % get my head around how you would do this - it is something that AI
 % people have tried for years and failed.  The basic problem is that you
 % are dealing with words and their meaning.

 No, I am thinking of the very simple, very stupid, no AI
 part of the problem.

 Assume that you are using a template and filling
 in blanks in the template.

 %  I can think of a couple of a
 % high level approach -
 %
 %     1) Do you want a "clients" page?
 %              yes
 %                  Name of page:
 %                  Description of page:
 %                  Parent of page:

 Yes, sort of like this, but let's be even more simplistic.

 What is the name of your domain?
 What is the name of your business?
 What is the address of your business?
 What email address do you want to get notes
       from the website?

 Write a paragraph that describes the mission/goals of your business:
 Write a paragraph that outlines your product/service/task:
 What is your flagship product/service?
 What does it do?
 What is the name of a competing product/service?
 What makes your product/service better?

 Write a paragraph about how this product makes things better.

 % But there are so many assumptions here I'm not sure what would be
 % useful.   I would characterize this problem as being: "Many simple
 % websites are comprised of a 2 or three level hierarchy of "static"
 % pages.  Having a simple way to enter this hierarchy and having the
 % output be pages and a navigational aid (menu) that allows people to see
 % and navigate over these pages would be a good thing (tm)"

 You are down at the mechanics level of website support.
 I am thinking from an abstract level. What are the concepts
 that they want the website to convey?

 Is there a common subset of concepts that needs to be
 conveyed by a small business website? If so, are they name-able?

 What is the level 2 - simple website with a few pages looking
 like from the abstract point of view?

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively