[consulting] DrupalCOM: european Small Business distro

Dan Robinson dan at civicactions.com
Sat Dec 17 21:06:11 UTC 2005

> % You are completely correct that the "Inforomation Architecture" that I
> % layed out was incomplete and just non-sensical - I did not mean to
> % propose that the specific pages/titles/organization I indicated would be
> % a real site - just that it was a general example so people could "grok"
> % what I was talking about.  This conversation exactly deals with the
> % problem I'm trying to address - everyone wants to do the same thing
> % (easily specify pages for the website) and needs the freedom to do it
> % whatever way makes sense for them and their customers.  Any solution
> % should allow me to make the mistakes I have obviously made and for
> % Gunnar to do the work he needs to do - quickly and effectively.
>
> Whenever I do a website for a client, I end up doing a lot of interviewing.
> I ask them a lot of questions about who they are and what they are doing.
>
> Let's suppose for a moment that this process can be automated.
>
> If you were to write a simple script that asked a bunch of questions,
> which then users used as the basis of the prototype website,
> What questions would you ask?

Interesting philosophical question - but I'm not sure that i can even
get my head around how you would do this - it is something that AI
people have tried for years and failed.  The basic problem is that you
are dealing with words and their meaning.  I can think of a couple of a
high level approach -

    1) Do you want a "clients" page?
             yes
                 Name of page:
                 Description of page:
                 Parent of page:

But there are so many assumptions here I'm not sure what would be
useful.   I would characterize this problem as being: "Many simple
websites are comprised of a 2 or three level hierarchy of "static"
pages.  Having a simple way to enter this hierarchy and having the
output be pages and a navigational aid (menu) that allows people to see
and navigate over these pages would be a good thing (tm)"

Dan