[consulting] drupal consulting and agreements

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sat Dec 17 23:35:03 UTC 2005

Disclaimer: IANAL, and I am familiar with US law, not Italian law. :-)

Because Drupal and almost all publically available modules are under GPL 2,
there's actually not a great deal that you need to do, or even can do.  Any
code you provide to the client that came from drupal.org is under the GPL,
and you provide it to the client under the terms of the GPL.  End of story.

The only question is code that you write new, and whether the copyright for it
is held by you or the client.  That varies by jurisdiction, so double check
for your country.  If the copyright is held by you, then you are then
required to provide it to the client under the GPL if you are providing it
with Drupal itself.  You can also then distribute it to others (patches to
core/contrib or new contrib modules) if you feel it is useful, unless your
contract with the client explicitly says otherwise.

If the copyright is held by the client, then it's up to the client whether
they want to distribute it.  If they distribute a modified core or contrib
module, then they would have to do so under the GPL.  A brand new module they
could distribute commercially, I believe, as long as they distribute it not
packaged with Drupal.  (As could you, with the same caveat.)