[consulting] drupal consulting and agreements

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sun Dec 18 02:42:50 UTC 2005

Good advice from Larry and Dave, imho, tho ianal either.

What I know from US law: Any contract that involves transfer of
copyright requires *signed* documents saying so. Everything else can
pretty much go via email and whether the check clears. ;)

The Graphic Artists' Guild advises that you retain copyright on any
custom work you do, and license it to the client -- in perpetuity even,
but retain the copyright. Make it clear you reserve the right to use the
work you do elsewhere, and how -- e.g., for promotional purposes (like
your portfolio). I always provide a link to the GPL regarding the Drupal
code, and make it clear to them that they will own it (which I feel is a
selling point of FOSS, as proprietary code they typically do not get to
own at all).

And be clear that THIS IS NOT A WORK FOR HIRE. That can get into sticky
issues, at least in the US. The distinction between employee and
consultant can ride on that line.

In the end, I go with the conventional wisdom: It depends on the persons
involved. If you can trust each other, the agreement can be over a
handshake. If you don't trust each other, then you could write a
contract the size of the phone book and you still won't be secure.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with the project!

Laura